Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Thoughts from a breastfeeding mom....

I for one am sick to death of people telling me what BFing is "like".

BFing is like defecation or urination, because liquid is coming out of your body.
BFing is like picking your nose or scratching your balls in public, because it's rude.
BFing is like masturbation, because it's natural.
BFing is like making love, because it's private.

Let's all shut up about what BFing is LIKE and talk about what it IS: a baby eating! That's it! It's eating! It's like eating! Because it is EATING!!!!

Sometimes I eat alone with my husband and we hold hands and gaze into each other's eyes and it's beautiful.
Sometimes I eat with my parents and my brothers and it's loud and we all talk at once and it's joyful.
Sometimes I eat in a mall food court with a bunch of strangers because I'm famished and can't wait to get home.

And get this: my baby DOES EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!! To everyone who thinks that nursing is gross, or private, or so freakin' special that I have to make it a Hallmark moment every time I do it, think for a minute and realize that it's JUSTFREAKINGEATING!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a woman breastfeeds with her whole breast out of the shirt, there's someone in the room wishing she would pull the shirt down a little more.

If she pulls her shirt down a little more, there's someone in the room wishing she would put a blanket over her side boob, or cleavage.

If she blankets her boob, there's someone wishing she would put the blanket over the baby's head.

If she blankets her baby, there's someone wishing she was in the corner.

If she moves to the corner, there's someone wishing she would face the wall.

If she faces the wall, there's someone wishing she would leave the room.

Can't please 'em all, so do what feels right to YOU, I say. But regardless of how you do it, keep nursing, ladies.

by Janet Fuchs Jackson

7 comments:

josetteplank.com said...

A-freakin'-men.

Ain't nobody gonna put baby in a corner.

And you're right...sometimes it's Hallmark moment. Sometimes, it's just grabbin' some grub and stuffin' your face.

Something can be lovely and utilitarian at the same time.

Jeepers creepers...if I call my breastfeeding "performance art" will people leave me alone?

Ahmie said...

you sing it, sister :)

Angi said...

woo-hoo!!

Sara said...

Word.

Monica said...

Right on!

Sarah said...

YAY!

Veronica Foale said...

I had to do a google search for this blog, because I knew that I had read it somewhere and I wanted to link to it.

Come on over and have a look at my blog about breastfeeding. I kinda had my knickers in a knot with a commenter, so forgive the soapbox I am standing on.